Absence Codes for Classified and Management Employees
- Maximum accrual allowed is the amount that can be earned over 24 months
- New employees accrue vacation but are not eligible to use vacation within the first six (6) month months of hire.
- See Vacation Accrual Schedule here
If Absence exceeds five (5) consecutive work days, Supervisor immediately notifies HR
- Employees working full-time 12 months per year accrue twelve days (96) hours per fiscal year at the beginning of each fiscal year. Sick leave accrual is prorated for employees who work less than 12 months and/or less than full-time.
- New employees accrue sick leave but are only eligible to use up to six (6) days within the first six (6) months of hire.
AB109 Sick Leave for Family Members
Employees may use sick leave to attend to the illness of a:
- spouse or domestic partner
16.2.3 As defined by AB 109, “children and parents” are defined as biological, foster, adoptive, and step relatives. The term ”child” also includes a legal ward, or a child of a person standing in loco parentis. The term “parent” also includes a legal guardian.
16.2.4 All conditions and restrictions placed by the employer upon the use of sick leave also shall apply to the use by an employee of sick leave to attend to an illness of the employee or the employee’s child, parent or spouse. This includes but is not limited to the requirement that absence for illness of more than five days requires written verification. This same requirement would apply to the use of sick leave to attend the illness of a child, spouse or parent.
(Paid Leave provided by the District)
LIMIT: 5 days.
- Mother, mother-in-law,
- father, father-in-law,
- grandmother or grandfather of the unit member or the spouse or domestic partner of the unit member,
- spouse, domestic partner,
- son, son-in-law,
- daughter, daughter-in-law,
- stepson, stepdaughter,
- brother or sister of the unit member, and
- any other relative living in the immediate household of the unit member.
Jury Duty and Witness Leave
Must provide proof of service. Submit jury duty verification of attendance to the Payroll Office. There is no minimum or maximum amount the District is required to pay an employee for jury duty service. An employee may keep mileage and/or parking reimbursement.
Industrial Accident - Wkrs' Comp Injury / Illness
Report the illness/injury to your supervisor and sign all required forms.
LIMIT: CSEA employees --10 days per fiscal year; Management -- 7 days per fiscal year. Personal Necessity absences are deducted from available sick leave.Reasons:
- Family illness -- Other than spouse, child, or parent.
- Bereavement -- Death of a friend, or not immediate family, or additional bereavement leave for immediate family.
- Accident -- Involving employee’s person or property or immediate family’s person or property.
- Court appearance -- Appearance before an administrative tribunal as a litigant, party or witness.
- Any unexpected event involving damage or injury to personal property which has crucial significance for the employee and his/her immediate family.
- Personal business that cannot reasonably be expected to be conducted outside regular working hours.
Overtime work for unit members shall only be ordered and authorized in advance by the Superintendent/President, division head, or department head having jurisdiction and only under circumstances where the interests of the District will clearly be served by such overtime services.
- 7.6.1 Either cash compensation at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) times the regular rate of pay of the unit member designated and authorized to perform the overtime work; or
- 7.6.2 Compensatory time off at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) times the number of hours of authorized overtime work; or
- 7.6.3 A combination of cash compensation and compensatory time off as arranged in accordance with terms set forth in this policy;
- 7.6.4 Compensatory time shall be taken off in units of one-half (1/2) hour or more at times approved by the immediate supervisor.
- Compensatory time off shall be granted and taken not later than twelve (12) calendar months following the week in which the overtime was worked and at such times as arranged that will not impair the services rendered by the District and office to which the unit member is assigned. Overtime may be compensated with time and one-half compensation time credits in lieu of cash payments up to a maximum of 240 comp. time hours (160 hours straight time equals 240 hours comp. time).
Leave without pay
Any Unpaid leave time will be deducted from the employee’s salary.