Information Competency Requirement (Area F)
On May 25, 2006, the SBCC Board of Trustees approved the addition of an Information Competency as a local General Education requirement and Liberal Studies Degree requirement. Required of ALL new to college and new transfer students entering SBCC in Fall 2007 and after. Also required of all students who were enrolled at SBCC before Fall 2007, stopped attending for one semester or more, and returned to SBCC in Fall 2007 or after to complete degree requirements. Exception: Information Competency is required effective Summer 2006 for Liberal Studies majors. This requirement cannot be waived.
SBCC Students may fulfill the Information Competency (IC) requirement by:
1. Satisfactory completion in ONE of the following approved SBCC courses:
- SBCC ENG 120 as co-requisite with English 110
- SBCC LIBR101 with a Pass (P)
2. OR by submitting a INFORMATION COMPETENCY, AREA F, GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS PETITION identifying one of the following grounds:
- EXTERNAL COURSEWORK:
a. External Coursework satisfies AREA F, Information Competency requirement (approval by the SBCC department offering the course), OR
b. Substitution by RECIPROCITY: Course is approved at transfer institution as satisfying their Information Competency Graduation Requirement, OR
- WAIVER: in the absence of an articulated course equivalent or substitution by reciprocity, a Substitution Petition of Graduation Requirements petition may be considered on a case-by-case or global basis upon review. Students MUST provide rationale and attach supporting documents.
Graduation requirements for external coursework:
- Student must receive a grade of "C" or better in external coursework
- Coursework must be completed at a regionally accredited institution