Online EditorJob Description
The online editor serves at the discretion of the editor-in-chief as the main coordinator for thechannelsonline.com.
Online editor's responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Attends weekly editorial board meetings. Keeps board informed of ongoing online news and issues.
- Prepares online budget, including art and graphics assignments.
- Posts online issues to synchronize with release of print issues of The Channels and should not be released any later than the same day as the print edition.
- Coordinates posting of stories and artwork on the thechannelsonline.com site. The online editor supervises posting of section content by section editors.
- Confers with the photo editor: (1) to ensure graphics are saved in a format appropriate for the web; and (2) to select the best photos for use on the web.
- Responsible for the design and quality of the thechannelsonline.com site and should edit copy, headlines and cut lines to avoid spelling and grammar errors, AP Style errors, libel and poor taste.
- Coordinates presentation of web-exclusive content of interest to the thechannelsonline.com audience and should constantly seek new and creative content features for the site. This may include monitoring other web sites, such as the college public information site, the college sports information site, community news sites, etc., for articles not part of The Channels publication but important to the college audience.
- Should propose a minimum of two web exclusive assignments per issue.
- Responsible for monitoring subscription numbers and developing promotional ideas to meet semester subscription goals.
- Must become proficient in online deliveries software and audio/video formatting techniques for online publication.