Alternatives to Testing
You might not be required to take SBCC's English and/or math test.
If you have one or more of the items listed below, download and submit the Alternatives to Testing Verification Form along with required documentation (details on the form).
- Advanced Placement English exam score of 3, 4, 5
- International Baccalaureate English Exam score of 5 or higher
- SAT Critical Reading score of 500 or above
- ACT English test score of 22 or above
- AWPE exam passage at UC
- EPT exam passage at CSU
- EAP exam passage at CSU. Note: 'conditional' status not acceptable.
- B.A. or B.S. degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States.
- Equivalent English 110 (Freshman Composition) course, completed with a grade of "C" or higher at another college. Note: if using this option, submit Prerequisite Verification Form A (information below).
- Advanced Placement Calculus AB or BC exam score of 3, 4, 5
- Advanced Placement Statistics exam score of 3, 4, 5
- Qualifying raw score report from an MDTP math test taken at another California Community College.
- EAP exam passage at CSU. Note: 'conditional' status not acceptable
- Student elects to begin at the Math 1, Basic Math level (Student must notify Assessment staff for option number 5)
- Equivalent prerequisite math course from another college, completed with a grade of "C" or higher. Note: if using this option, submit Prerequisite Verification Form A (information below).
PREREQUISITE VERIFICATION FORM A
If you have successfully completed coursework at another college, submit Prerequisite Verification Form A to meet your math and/or English Assessment requirement.
PREREQUISITE VERIFICATION FORM B
You may also petition to challenge a prerequisite based upon (1) knowledge or ability to succeed, (2) prerequisite course has not been made reasonably available, (3) the prerequisite is not valid, (4) prerequisite is discriminatory, and (5) prerequisite was not established in accordance with the District's process for establishing prerequisites. Supporting documentation and Prerequisite Verification FORM B is required. Visit the Prerequisite site for more information on specific deadlines and the required steps for clearance.